Saturday, 10 January 2009

Milling a Worm Gear Holder on a Lathe


I needed to mill out a slot on a holder that I was making to hold worm gear blanks whilst I cut the worm pattern into the gear. Not having a milling machine I used my mini lathe to mill a slot into the holder whilst it was mounted in the lathes tool post.

The picture above shows the milling bit in the lathe's chuck and the milled gear holder.

The milling bit was 6mm diameter and the worm gear blanks were 3mm thick. Milling the holder in the lathe it would be used in ensured that the slot was centred to the axis of the chuck.

2 comments:

nophead said...

Hi Andy,
Did you use cooling fluid to mill the steel bar?

aka47 said...

Hullo nophead

Sorry for the delay in replying.

No I don't have a coolant delivery setup or pump so had to make do with dribbling 3 in 1 oil down the metal bar and onto the milling bit at regular intervals. This together with taking only thin cuts at a time worked great.